Radio Wave Surgery
For the health, happiness and comfort of your pet, we are pleased to offer radiowave technology as part of our surgical services. With radiowave surgery, your pet will require anesthesia for a shorter period of time in addition to experiencing shorter post-surgical healing. Some procedures may also require only a local anesthetic.
Examples of Procedures that can benefit from Radiowave Surgery:
- Skin Tag and Wart Removals
- Anal Fistula Surgery
- Soft Palate Resections
How Does Radiowave Surgery Work?
A radiofrequency electrode tip becomes energized by the radiowaves but does not become hot. The ultra high frequency radiowaves provide specific and delicate tissue interaction. This results in a focused cutting and coagulating effect, which disintegrates and volatilizes single cells minimizing the amount of tissue destruction. Healing is rapid and painless with the formation of a supple tissue identical to surrounding normal tissue.
Why is Radiowave Surgery Safe?
- No contact is needed between the neutral plate and patient, eliminating the possibility of burns or shocks.
- Radiowave surgery provides a tactile, but pressureless, incision which allows the doctor to sense what he is cutting.
- Radiofrequency energy is low-temperature, minimizing the occurrence of tissue necrosis and burning.
Distinct Benefits for You and Your Pet:
- Decreased Post-Operative Pain: Radiowave surgery seals nerve endings as it cuts.
- Decreased Post-Surgical Edema: High Frequency/Low Temperature = less tissue destruction.
- Less Blood Loss: The radiowaves close off blood vessels as they cut.
- Reduced Risk of Infection: Radiowaves vaporize bacteria, preventing infectious agents from being seeded along the length of the incision.
- Quicker Recovery: With less tissue destruction, healing is hastened and your pet will recover quickly.
Your veterinarian at Barber Creek veterinary Hospital will be able to tell you if your pet's procedure can be performed with radio wave surgery. Please call our office at 706.549.7387 to request an appointment.